research for the movie

Just moved to Cincinnati to teach art, can't believe they pay me for this.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cincinnati, OH, United States

I run the Art Foundations program here at DAAP in the University of Cincinnati

Monday, May 21, 2007

never enough




I'm at school today, trying to get a master plan on how to enroll students in the DAAP Non-Major Art classes. Nothing seems to be working. Getting ready to just call all the colleges and get them on board.

My students finished up their photo performance class. This two week workshops went extremely well. I love teaching photo, if you couldn't get that from the last post.

The school is trying to get rid of the major problem of Bathroom Graffiti. NO one knows how to combat this issue. At UC the walls must be painted by the painter's union. I ran into problems with them when I was repainting the art foundations room in the winter. How silly of me to try to do some free work for the school and get the extremely messy room back in order. What was I thinking? Last year I wrote an article for RVA Mag about bathroom graffiti in the art building. I wish I could find a copy of it in my files, but I think I erased it sometime ago. Sorrys go out to everyone.

Working on about 10 new pieces for the show in Knoxville at The Basement Gallery. (I don't remember the website, but google it.) Finished my first write up for CITYBEAT Magazine. Did a preview of Joseph Winterhalter. I hope it gets people in the space. I hope it gets published, and I hope I get some more assignments.

Trying my best this week to not turn on the TV, but yesterday I caught an amazing insider's guide to "Good Eats." Alton Brown gave his secrets and tricks on how the show gets made. No it is not his actual kitchen, but in season two we are welcome to see life from the kitchen of his producer and director of photography's house. Durring that season a cease all actions was issued and they had to rebuild the entire kitchen in a set, but it turns out that the fake walls behind the appliances made for an easier filming environment. I loved learning that his Microwave was actually a working microwave without the dangerous and food cooking beams of light. Instead it just turns and lights up, but no ions are transmitted.

A while back Julia sent a letter to Good Eats asking if there was a chance for me to do an internship with alton. The people suggested I apply to be "the next foodnetwork star." I'm still on the fence if that is a good idea or not. I mean Alton's show is perfect in everyway, I would never be able to do something that good.

Thinking about pricing my work tonight. I guess everyone has the same issues of determining value to something that rarely ever sells. Most people I know who show one to three times a year say the same thing. "I'm just happy to get a show." The artist I will show with in Knoxville said something extremely interesting to me in our meeting today. "I love to buy my students work, it makes them feel so special. But they are so timid, they never know how much to price it. I always tell them give me a price and I will write you a check or laugh in your face. It's that simple."

I have never sold a piece for over 200 bucks. I would like to do that someday soon. Maybe by December.

I think the new paintings, and drawings are up to snuff and hopefully people will see the value in them, and the value in me. Because quite frankly aren't those two things intertwined. Aren't they also buying a bond of faith in me and my ability to creatively investigate materials?

Worked on my bills and budget in the gallery for Reed's Performance Show. I figured out my long term goals, and realized I spend way too much eating out.


This was my old studio door.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home