research for the movie

Just moved to Cincinnati to teach art, can't believe they pay me for this.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cincinnati, OH, United States

I run the Art Foundations program here at DAAP in the University of Cincinnati

Monday, June 05, 2006

new job

Every week something new pops up. This week, I have been offered two new jobs. One full time, one part time. Three hours ago I was on the phone with four more artists for the new gallery, which I am going ahead and calling Shaprio Gallery.

One hour ago I was being asked to send materials to 1708 gallery for review into membership. Twenty minutes ago I recieved an email about having a show in Mike Martin's new gallery down in TN. Why? Why is everything happening right now. Did I do something right? Or is it just what happens to those who wait long enough.

I have been thinking more and more about this recruiting thing, selling the school. Pimping education as I call it. For the first time I feel it is something that comes naturally to me; amiable, likeable, and honest. Over the past few months of recruiting I have recieved over 15 thank you letters and two presents, a bowl and a small print. All of this without ever giving out my email address to anyone. what would it be like if I had bussiness cards?

Now the word on the street is that the recruiting will be running hand in hand with the development team. People who know how to get investors aare going to put their heads together to try to get students. I hope it works. This year our numbers dropped by a significant number. Graduate departments all had their highest candidate pool ever, but undergrad departments were significantly down.

I'm still trying to figure out what happened, and what I can learn from being thrown in the middle of this thunderstorm.

The bad news,other than that some teachers might not get to teach if they do not have enough classes, is that the president of the university checks the enrollment data every single day. If a certain department drops on a continuous slope, the red phone is dialed and hell is to pay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home