research for the movie

Just moved to Cincinnati to teach art, can't believe they pay me for this.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cincinnati, OH, United States

I run the Art Foundations program here at DAAP in the University of Cincinnati

Friday, June 23, 2006

Making BBQ this weekend

Vaughn just anounced to me his intentions of making BBQ this weekend. Something we haven't done since the old house in The Fan. The one that now stands empty and with no construction activity We could have stayed there for an extra two years. Hmmm. Good thinking Bandazian!

But making BBQ is not a high artform, it is just a simple thing that takes time. Cooking over a fire and making meat taste good just requires a few tests and a few mistakes and eventually it happens on it's own.

Some years back I worked as a host at "Famous Dave's Barbeque" in Richmond. The second Famous Daves in town, but not the last it seems now. This high end BBQ trend is beyond upsetting to me. One evening a young group of upstarts ordered the "All American Feast" which comes with a bottle of DOM! Or bling-bling juice as I like to call it. at $125 for 4 people it is nothing to laugh at. They ordered 5 feasts that night...Drunk and wet with spicy Texas sauce, everyone continued the celebration outside and the check cleared and the waitor of that table didn't even know what hit him.

My second meal in this fair city was with my Mom and Grandmother at Double T's, another b-s barbeque place that thinks it's farts don't stink. (even this review makes it seem like eating cooked meat will give you divine sight) Overpriced and underserviced everyone else in my family was happy as hell. I couldn't stand the smell of Hickory then and I can't to this day.

But every now and then I forget I don't like barbeque. I really don't like Barbeque chicken. And more than that I hate people who do frequent barbeque places. The current clients of Buzz and Neds are sunglass and mini skirt U of R grad, people with money to blow on looking white trash. Trailer Class someone in LA would call it. Or some other made up word to make it look cool to lower yourself to the food of "the people" whatever that is.

Maybe I am missing something but BBQ doesn't have to cost 5 bucks a sandwich, and 2.50 a side for enough to feed a three year old. I thought this was the stuff of fat people? Do fat people go to Bill's and the rich people stay skinny at Buzz's?

So now I have to make BBQ? I have to make a sauce and cook up a big butt of pork (shoulder actually) in a thick rub that has been soaked in brine first. I have to chop the meet and mix while still hot otherwise the flavor will be lost.

The point to all this? Once a year I completely forget that I want barbeque, and one other time a year I forget that I hate making barbeque. It is tradition and that is why it is so expensive, either in the wallet or on the psyche.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home