research for the movie

Just moved to Cincinnati to teach art, can't believe they pay me for this.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cincinnati, OH, United States

I run the Art Foundations program here at DAAP in the University of Cincinnati

Friday, August 11, 2006

Leaving Job, Leaving Richmond

The new contract is in the mail. I will be the newest faculty at the University of Cincinnati, if only for one year. Job interviews at this school have already begun to replace me, and I have one month to educate someone on how to be nice to strangers, convince them to come to school here, and make them feel wanted, respected, and vital to the success of the Arts Program.

With all of these changes happening I have been instructed to make a conpendium of what I say to people, this feels extremely odd. I have given the same speach for over 5 months now and have some form of it down to memory. I try to mix it up each time, add new jokes, take old ones out. My staple jokes are just loosing their punch. New information is added each time, old statistics drop out, and the numbers continually get mixed up in my head. 85%, 87% 92% go on to a job within 6 months of leaving the school. It is all relative. I have to be able to read people, what type of student do they seem like, would they care if we see the painting department even though they say (everysingleone) graphic design. And what will happen to the key? Who will have the power to unlock all the secret doors and retieve the information about the departments. Not me anymore.

This is an excerpt:
After you inform the performing arts students about what is happening you ask the others to join you in the Projection room.

Let everyone get settled then welcome them again by introducing yourself and telling a little about how you got here.

“First off the bat I want to say how completely excited we are that you are looking at VCU. It continually surprises us how many people are interested in our programs. And more importantly how many students want to pursue an extremely rewarding career as a professional artist or designer."

"So with that said we are a liberal arts university, publicly funded, that means that 1/3 of your total education at VCU will be general education. We believe that students should have universal skills and communication abilities that reach well beyond the arts. We are training life long learners, people who are excited by the world around them, who are passionate problem solvers and visually literate."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home